Bay Area Playwrights Festival
Playwrights Foundation, August 2022
The 45th Bay Area Playwrights Festival launched a new hybrid structure with virtual and in-person attendance options for audiences, and a mix of digital and in-person staged reading processes chosen by the playwrights. They welcomed this powerful cohort of five playwrights and their new plays about resilience, unbreakable bonds, honesty, love, and the life-changing moments that snap us into deep relationship with others. Feel the power of human connection both in person and digitally as we innovate community for all and support the creation of plays that can bring us closer.
Playwrights Foundation supports and empowers playwrights’ artistic growth and careers while championing their voices on a national level. They imagine a future where playwrights are radically centered as visionary leaders who transform the world through storytelling. www.playwrightsfoundation.org.
Playwrights Foundation’s Values
- Playwright Centered: We center our decisions around the specific needs of the playwrights we serve and empower them to have artistic agency.
- Community: We strive to create a meaningful community amongst playwrights and cultivate a constellation of creative relationships between playwrights and artists, organizations, advocates, and audiences.
- Equity: We seek to build flexible and adaptable systems in order to create equitable opportunities for people across differences to participate, contribute and succeed.
- Inclusion: We create a culture of access, well-being, and a sense of belonging across a diversity of intersectional identities and voices.
- Innovation: We value artistic experimentation, risk-taking, and innovative systems that support playwrights through a mindset of creativity and abundance.
- Transparency: We strive to practice clear, open, and honest communication at every level both internally and externally.
- Local Commitment: We invest in relationships with Bay Area playwrights, artists, organizations, and communities.
BAPF 2022 Creative Team:
Jessica Bird Beza – Executive Artistic Director
Jacquetta Farrar – Artistic Producer
Andrew Custer – Technical Director
Emlyn Doolittle – Technical & Streaming Associate
Megan Cohen – Communications & Engagement Manager
Heather Helinsky – Literary Manager
Tessa Saito King – Operations Manager
Jordan Battle – House Manager
Den Legaspi – Graphic Designer
A Jumping Off Point
Inda Craig-Galván – Playwright
Dawn Monique Williams – Director
Leigh Rondon-Davis – Dramaturg
How To Let Your Lover Die
Elana Dykewomon – Playwright
Tracy Ward – Director
Heather Helinsky – Dramaturg
Denmo Ibrahim – Playwright
Susannah Martin – Director
Laura Brueckner – Dramaturg
Saturday Mourning Cartoons
Iraisa Ann Reilly – Playwright
Karina Gutiérrez – Director
Nikki Martinez – Content Expert
Close To Home
Sharifa Yasmin – Playwright
Evren Odcikin – Director
Adam Ashraf Elsayigh – Dramaturg
BAPF 2022 featured performers include:
Jeunée Simon, Jeremy Kahn, Sam Jackson, Gwen Loeb, Nancy Carlin, AJ Davenport, Anne Hallinan, Sharon Omi, Catherine Castellanos, Anne Darragh, Ed Keyani, Sarah Nina Hayon, Salim Razawi, Vanessa Barrantes, Estrella Esparza, Mary Ann Rogers, Francisco Rodriguez, Brady Morales Woolery, Yosep al Zebari, Liam MacDougall, Sharifa Yasmin, and Maisha Khan.